Wednesday, January 1, 2014
Last summer I bought an old sideboard with the intentions of fixing it up to put in my family room. I knew it was big when I saw it at the shop, but it seemed to grow on the trip home. The task of restoring it grew too.
It had a veneer surface. The man I bought it from assured me it could be stripped off. That didn't work so well. Some sections did peel off, and others would not budge. Then there were areas that had already peeled away. Two doors were locked shut with no key in sight. We tried many different antique keys with no luck.
Solution? Break the locks. Now all doors and drawers can open and close.
Thus began the sanding and filling in holes.
We sanded so much and tried to wipe the waste way with little success. At last Tim opened the garage door, we pushed the sideboard out to the driveway, and he grabbed the leaf blower. Sand and dust flew everywhere. I have no idea what the neighbors thought, but it worked.
We did a little more patching, and then Tim had to leave. So I'm home alone with the sideboard. I allowed the last patches to dry a few hours and then started the first coat of paint. I was going for a French distressed look, and the lady where I bought the paint explained the entire process to me.
On goes the first coat of Old Ochre. I let it dry a few hours and painted on the second coat of Old Ochre.
The next morning I paint the first coat of Duck Egg. And disaster strikes. Places begin to bubble up. After it dries, I cut the bubbles out and begin the process over on these areas.
I'm determined to conquer this project. So after fixing the bubbles, I distress certain areas. Tim claimed the entire process distressed him. Ha!
I'm home alone once more and begin the process of waxing. When my oldest son, Bill, gets off work he comes over with his brother-in-law, Caleb, and they move the sideboard into my family room.
You might notice it overpowers my furniture with its massive size.
Check out my dog. He even looked worried.
I'll finish this story in my next post.